Own up to it, standing on the podium at an awards ceremony can pretty much seal the deal on a lot of hard work making the pain, sweat, fatigue, days of walking around with wet pony tails and goggle marks on your face worth it. Whether standing top step of a local race, or top 10 of a huge national event leave you smiling for a few days. An Age group award, a well deserved PR at an A race, or getting a ribbon at a swim meet is the ultimate goal/ …the goal that gets you out of bed when you’d rather roll over, allows you to hang on to the end of that interval, or motivates you to swim in the fast lane.
I have been living with my own elite AG for years, but add a couple of professionals to the mix and I’ve come up with a few observations. Training has been in full swing around here and big races are on the horizon. Being a 40 something AG female who works and has kids living amongst them has been humbling, but who can complain about having 3 very fit men hanging around the house! Nevertheless, I have been compiling my own little awards ceremony for the members of the IHOT;
1. Healthiest Eater > Cesar , he can make a fruit plate look fabulous
2. Most artistic > Miss Kaitlin Zucco; I had her color flags for our International friends on the 4th of July
3. Least likely to fatigue> Adam, hands down, unanimous decision
4. Most patient> Courtney, he arrives and winds up with a stress fx, but always greets you with “Morning Mate!”
5. Most frequent PR’s> Jack , my 8 yr old; easy to do when you have a swim meet every other week and can add a flip turn to a 50 free
6. Best stretcher> Cesar; he is a physical therapist’s dream patient
7. Messiest Hair> toss up between Courtney and myself/ heat, humidity and chlorine does wonders, so why even try
8. Most creative>Adam; can turn a regular training weekend into a camp for athletes, and a race weekend into a vacation !
At the end of the season maybe I’ll be able to come up with a “best of” blog, but for now I wish nothing but the best for all the athletes in the house at Muncie, Racine, and at the last swim meets or tennis matches because I've seen all the hard work put into making the awards ceremony!