Monday, March 25, 2013

GET LUCKY


Get Lucky half marathon......
the KSWISS KRUUZ = fast and lucky

We were supposed to go to Atlanta to do a WARM southern half marathon, combined with seeing family, and  potentially fast race.   Meanwhile life other trips and circumstances and travel happen we decide not to go. It just so happens that  Get Lucky 1/2 was the same weekend. A race  along the lake front of Chicago in mid March is super lucky.  Especially this year. (hardly)  I traveled to the city with my friend DL 1 week post Tuscon camp to run the 1/2 marathon. Not really racing since Kansas 70.3, then  a shortend cylcocross season has left me feeling race deprived, so I  was on a mission  for some race redemption.  Even a cold local 1/2 marathon would do.
pre race freeze out

DL and I  were chauffered to Soilder field  St. Patrick's day weekend for the race.  I had a sweet St. Patty's day race outfit picked including Wattie Gear and Lucky Irish socks,  but it was freeeeeezing with the addition of 20 mph wind coming off the lake,  so I made a quick change in the car adding a layer and taking all  the fun out of it! :(    I managed to run solid race.  The NE freezing bitter  wind was howling from the north east  off the lake for the  2nd 10k. I felt I strong the whole way even though the  last 3-4 miles I felt like I was being blown backwards. I wasn't fading from fatigue, just running into a brick wall. Despite slowing down I still felt strong and passed alot of people dying into the wind, who probably started too fast.  No fun podium pictures or post race party. We were ice zombies at the finish.  We bolted into the nearby Congress Hotel to change out of cold wet clothes and get warm amongst the St. Patrick's day parade goers. DL and I in our cute running clothes looked boring compared to the already buzzed parade goers making 1 last pit stop before the parade began.

I ended up 1st in my AG.  Its funny to me anymore.  I am just glad to be racing again.

4 weeks until New Orleans 70.3!, but where is spring. I am now on a California countdown to escape this frozen Tundra that will never end
ROCK The W!

No comments: