Thursday, October 13, 2011

RockStars ***

Having the opportunity to go to Kona to watch the best race at the highest level is always an unforgettable experience. The best are there to race and lay it on the line. All the athletes have worked so hard all year just to qualify, and show up there ready to race. Sure the pros are Rockstars that are amazing to watch, but I love seeing the top age groupers kill it and have the race of their life. Race morning at the pier I can hardly breathe. With the beat of the Hawaiian drums, the helicopters flying, and the sun coming up over the mtn. and Mike Reilly getting the crowd and athletes fired up its hard not to get excited and nervous. I am more nervous for Adam on these mornings than I am for my own big races. I see on a daily basis the hard work and dedication that goes into showing up at the start line in Kona.

(hanging out the night before the race)

AZ had another amazing day in Hawaii. Not feeling tip/top he gutted it out and still had a race he used to dream of. The competition is tough there, and there is nothing like racing against the best to take you to the next level.

This is my blog where I like to talk about myself, and share some of my experiences and knowledge, but this time I’m going to highlight a few of my amazing athletes who had their own rockstar seasons. As a coach I see almost on a daily basis the hard work and dedication my own athletes put into their season and each having unique obstacles to deal with that add to the challenges of training.

Cori Frayer



Cori was 3rd in the 25-29 AG at IM Wisconsin, good enough to qualify for 2012! She is an amazing runner and can run like the wind, but on the tough IM Wisconsin bike course she had a break through bike performance. Cori had been diagnosed with melanoma about a year prior resulting in about 9 surgeries to remove the skin cancer. This made riding outside in the Arizona heat and sun all summer not the wisest choice, so much of her riding was done indoors. I tried to create tough indoor trainer workouts that simulated the steep climbs in Madison. She was dedicated to getting the work done and did those tough long indoor workouts and the results paid off and will be heading to the Big Island next year!

Sarah Arnold




Sarah had made steady improvements over the past 2 years I’ve been working with her. She is an amazing mom of 4 young kids and balances her training with coordinating the activities of 4 very involved kids, and a husband who also trains and races. (hmm I know a little about this myself!) This year Sarah qualified for Vegas and was 3rd in the W 40-44 AG at Muncie and 4th AG at Steelhead and completed the season by winning the Female amateur (nonelite) OA at Chicago Triathlon. She is extremely dedicated and hard working and completes the work, logs in her workouts and has proven she can race at with the top girls. Elite Waves next year Sarah!

Lorna Im



Lorna has made huge improvements in just one year of working together. She was dedicated to improving her swim bike and run and followed the workouts as planned. She is a busy MD who has "on call" hours making balancing work, training and family challenging. She follows the plan and gets the work done which allowed her to make huge improvements. Her goal this year was to PR her marathon time and to finish a 70.3 race. She accomplished both and went on to do 2 more 70. 3 races. She raised her FTP significantly over the season which gave her the confidence and ability to surved our killer Georgia camp.

There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. I see it every day in my own home, every time I check the logs of my athletes and every year in Kona.

No comments: