Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Going For Gold!

I’m not quite an Olympian, but I have loved watching the Olympics and they have given me an extra shot of motivation to my own training. Of course I’m not actually training for gold or even a World Champion title, but I have the dedication and motivation to do the best I can as an Elite AG triathlete who is a physical therapist, mom, TBC coach, wife to an Ironman who responds best to large volume (and yes Kona training for that certain someone has officially begun).

Some days my gold medal achievements are as simple as:

1. Showing up to work looking somewhat professional after squeezing in as many laps as I can before needing to dry off and head to work


quick change!

2. Actually completeing all the workouts scheduled for the week

3. On the most insane day, coming up with the best way to actually get the workout done (have had to resort to the trainer lately)


sweat fest in the garage

4. Figuring out new technology on my own! I now happily use a Garmin 500 on the vs power tap thanks to AZ and Bike Shop GE!

5. Remembering Wednesday is trash day and Friday is Oberweis milk day

6. Getting Jack to and from where he needs to be when I am work/ so read for school to start!

7. Practicing what I preach every day at work. Stretch and strengthen. I have returned to the personal trainer who has no mercy and doesn't care that I might have already worked out 3-4 hrs that day.

Like any Olympian there is usually some drama and/or injury, but even as an age grouper the desire and motivation can be so strong you ignore the signs and keep pushing (even when you know better). I have had a nagging sore hip that I rested, skipped Racine for and it improved….but just enough for me to run hard on a couple more weeks and really jack it up good. Dumb ass….. Now I have a good case of hip bursitis and have to rest it running, take drugs, and swim more! See even the smartest who knows what to do can suffer from the same brainlessness when it comes to training and racing. Luckily biking and swimming don't bother it, so I have been getting in some good time in the pool and saddle. Its scary to not be running, but being smart now, hopefully it will come around and give me a couple good weeks to run.

Some shots of my recent Olympic training venues!


Best hill for repeats close to home



taking a breather


this might have been the one that put my hip over the edge

4 weeks until Vegas, Time to Rock!

No comments: