Friday, March 27, 2009

** Spring Cleaning!*

Its that time of year for sure.

Its nearly April and all the signs of spring are popping out like Jose the landscaper knocking on the door and asked in broken English if we'd like service again this year, (I nearly choked on the thought of this household not having lawn service. Frightening.

Adam packing up to leave for his first race of the 2009 season. He'll be gone a week and doing 2 races.

There are very faint hints of green here and there with actual living plants poking through the ground (they actually lived after that winter?), the spring wind and extreme temperature changes

and yes the flu! The flu went through 3 members of our family and I am humbly saying I came down with it as well. I think its because I was bragging and going on about how Mom's can't get sick. Ha.... 1/2 way through a meeting the other day I lost my lunch literally and did so for the next 24 hrs. The rest of the details aren't fun, but once back int 1 piece, I went on a crazy cleaning and scrubbing binge to rid this place of the germs that having been hanging out and invading our space. Now, I am not one of those germophobics who have to wash their hands after touching anyone or anything in public. But, if there has been illness, and germs present, or....there ever becomes evidence of mice in the house I will be launched into a crazy cleaning spree.

While scrubbing, polishing, bleaching and washing linens, I got to thinking about spring cleaning the mind as the start of the tri season is really right around the corner. Maybe it was the chemicals from all the cleaning products that got my mind spinning about spring cleaning the mind and attitude for the new race season. Many thoughts came to mind for myself as an athlete, and as a coach....for my athletes.

Take a look at what worked last year and what didn't. If you're finding yourself in some old patterns and the same result keeping happening....make a change. If you continually bonk in longer workouts, take a look at what you're eating during the longer sessions....and make a change. Communicate what works and doesn't with your coach, if you don't have a coach, talk to one about making some changes instead of falling into the same routine that may not be helping your reach your potential. If you keep getting hurt in the same places, get help instead of living with it. You get the idea....make a noticeable change instead of continuing along the same path.

Dust out all the pre-conceived notions and negative thoughts bouncing around. Start this season with a shiny clean mind and image of yourself achieving the goals you've set. Believe you can accomplish the goals you have set.

Take chances and risks. If your coach puts up a workout that looks a little scary, take the risk. The more times you take the risk, the easier it will be to deal with those "scary" things. The thought of a 5k for some may be scary, or doing that bike test indoors...is scary mostly because of fear of not having good results, however this info can only help the coach write better workouts and help you with the physical and mental componets necessary to make yourself go hard and deal with the uncomfortableness that comes with taking it to the next level. And, how can you ever see the success and improvements your making if the workouts aren't or test sets aren't complete. I used to get nerves bigger than a race when I would see group ride on my schedule. But I have done it now for several years. I still get a little nervous especially if its a Tuesday, but I have gotten better at dealing with taking that risk.

Don't be so serious, and have some fun. Don't be afraid to try a new approach or way of doing something. ( this is a big one for me this year) I have been having fun so far doing more group workouts, and working with a personal trainer on strength/ power and focusing on just the local races which are fun. This is a different approach, and it seems strange not having some huge gigantic Ironman, Worlds etc goal out there, and sometimes is hard to get used to, but I am having fun and getting fit with some of the different things I am doing.

Now I have a clean house, a clean tummy, and a clean brain ! Happy Spring

No comments: